|Nats' Corbin out to halt road skid in outing vs. Marlins|
Patrick Corbin looks to overcome his recent road miseries and continue the Washington Nationals' best stretch of the season when he starts Wednesday in the middle game of a three-game road series against the Miami Marlins.
For Corbin, it is another opportunity to stop an unproductive road trend.
Corbin (6-5, 3.90 ERA) has lost his last four starts in opponents' stadiums. In the first-year of a six-year, $140 million free agent deal with the Nationals, Corbin has not exceeded five innings in any of the past four road appearances. He has allowed 24 runs (20 earned) in 17 2/3 innings during the stretch.
Interrupting Corbin's road woes were a complete-game shutout against the Marlins at Nationals Park on May 25 and a seven-inning outing that earned him a home win against Philadelphia in his most recent start on June 19.
Corbin, who is 2-1 with a 3.72 ERA in seven career starts against Miami, allowed four hits, one walk and struck out five in the complete game against the Marlins.
"You just have to continue to work," Corbin said after defeating the Phillies. "There are ups and downs throughout the course of the year. I felt good with what I was doing and want to continue to do it. It's great to see some results out there."
The Nationals continue to seek options to remedy their bullpen, which owns a 6.26 ERA. Before Tuesday's game, Washington added veteran relievers Fernando Rodney and Johnny Venters to its major league roster, selecting their contracts from Triple-A Fresno and Double-A Harrisburg, respectively.
Rodney made an immediate appearance with his 11th major league team Tuesday, pitching a scoreless ninth in the Nationals' 6-1 series-opening victory. Washington won for the sixth time in the past eight games.
"They've both been pitching really well (in the minors), throwing strikes," Nationals manager Dave Martinez said. "We felt this was the time. Obviously, both of these guys have been successful."
Miami's Zac Gallen will make his second major league start Wednesday. Recalled from Triple-A New Orleans last week, Gallen got a no-decision as he allowed one run and five hits in five innings in his major league debut against the St. Louis Cardinals on June 20 at Busch Stadium.
"There are not that many places like Busch Stadium," Gallen said. "There is so much tradition, history. Taking it in as much as I could, but I had to go out there and do a job."
Gallen, 23, was 9-1 with a 1.77 ERA at Triple-A New Orleans before his major league promotion to replace starting pitcher Pablo Lopez, who was placed on the 10-day injured list because of a shoulder injury.
On Tuesday, the Marlins were unable to build off their successful road trip, in which they won five of seven, including a three-game sweep at Philadelphia. Max Scherzer shut down Miami, allowing one run on five hits and striking out 10 in eight innings.
The Marlins have won just two of their last 11 at home.
"I feel a lot of frustration coming out of a really good series on the road," Miami shortstop Miguel Rojas said after the Tuesday loss. "For me it's been tough because I would like this team to play a little bit better at home."
Tensions boiled Tuesday as plate umpire Mike Estabrook ejected Rojas and subsequently Marlins manager Don Mattingly in the eighth inning for arguing balls and strikes.
"I think it was frustration over the strike zone," Mattingly said. "It's a common thing.
"Miggy's is right. He's basically saying, 'We're still playing.' Max was plenty good enough. He doesn't need help."
--Field Level Media